Samba Olywa Scholarship & Grant Criterion
HISTORY & PURPOSE
Samba Olywa, is a self-governing, independent organization, with the purpose to promote the learning and sharing of Brazilian influenced music to both drummers and dancers in the community. Through donations, Samba Olywa is able to provide a limited number of merit scholarships and support grants annually.
The purpose of these funds is to provide Samba Olywa members with financial assistance to attend Brazil Camp, purchase equipment or costumes, attend special classes or help fund something that directly benefits the membership.
MERIT SCHOLARSHIP - $800 TOTAL FUND
- A limited number of scholarships with a maximum of $200 will be awarded to successful applicants.
- Scholarships are for related expenses such as fees, travel, costumes, books/supplies, room and board.
- Scholarships are non-renewable and therefore new applications must be completed for each request.
- Scholarships will be awarded based on merit, relevance, benefits to the membership and leadership potential.
SUPPORT GRANT - $200 TOTAL FUND
- A limited number of $20 or less, grants will be awarded to successful applicants.
- Grants are for related expenses such as fees, travel, costumes or books/supplies.
- Grants are non-renewable and therefore new applications must be completed for each request.
- Grants will be awarded based on relevance, need, and benefits to the membership.
MINIMUM CRITERION FOR APLICANTS
All applicants who meet the following minimum criterion are encouraged to apply:
- Must be an active and ongoing member of Samba Olywa year round, participating regularly in rehearsals.
- Must have participated in at least 3 gigs in the year preceding the scholarship request.
Points for merit evaluation are awarded as follows:
| Current Year Steering Committee Position || 10 points |
| Current Year Dance or Drum Leader || 10 points |
| Support Role (Instrument Librarian, Costuming, etc.) || 5 points |
| Membership & Participation || 2 points per year |
| Value of benefit to Samba Olywa || up to 20 points |
All applicants are required to submit the following:
Completed application must be received in the US Mail by May 31st or email by midnight May 31st.
EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS
All applications will be evaluated by an impartial committee designated annually by the Steering Committee. The following criteria will be used to award the scholarships:
Award notification will be made the month following the application due date listed above.
- The applicant’s involvement and commitment to Samba Olywa.
- Merit points for scholarship applicants.
- The applicant’s potential for leadership.
- The benefit this scholarship will bring to Samba Olywa and its members.
Samba Olywa will award all scholarships regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental ability, medical condition, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or other basis prohibited by applicable law.